Objectives To analyze prospectively the ability of ultrasound to detect metastatic omentum in patients with suspicious pelvic masses and to describe the sonograpbic features of metastatic omental disease.Methods One hundred and eighty-four patients were evaluated preoperatively by ultrasound examination and of these 173 were used in the analysis. We defined as an ultrasound-positive examination one which visualized intra-abdominal aperistaltic solid tissue, located above the bowel loops and below the anterior peritoneal surface. Preoperative sonographic findings were compared with pathological results.Results Sonograpbic detection of metastatic omentum was achieved in 104 of 173 patients (60.1%), appearing as either solid aperistaltic tissue (80.8% of cases), or as solid discrete nodules (19.2%). When considering the echostructure of the surrounding bowel loops, this tissue appeared hypoechoic in 46 (44.2%) cases and isoechoic or slightly hyperechoic in the other 58 (55.8%) cases. In the overall series, the negative and positive predictive values (NPV and PPV) and the accuracy of ultrasound examination were 92.7%, 91.3% and 91.9%, respectively. When considering only the group of ovarian tumors, the NPV, PPV and accuracy were 91.9%, 94.6%, and 93.8%, respectively.Conclusion Ultrasound examination is highly accurate in detecting metastatic omental involvement in cases with suspicious pelvic masses. Copyright (c) 2005 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
|Titolo:||Ultrasound and color power Doppler in the detection of metastatic omentum: A prospective study|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2006|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|