On 13 January 1915 a devastating earthquake hit the Marsica, the Abruzzo area surrounding the lake Fucino, causing 30.000 victims out of 120.000 residents and extensive damage to the urban fabric of the towns involved. Avezzano was razed to the ground. Gustavo Giovannoni was involved in the reconstruction, which was the occasion to formulate planning and constructive theories and experimental projects, including kindergarten type. Giovannoni took over the project as president of the Technical Committee set up within a Patronage of notables, founded on the initiative of Giovanni Cena and Camillo Corradini immediately after the disaster. The kindergartens were designed on the basis of plant type, with three types (one, two or three classrooms), and building systems in reinforced concrete or reinforced concrete blocks. They were a first simple prototype of modern earthquake-proof buildings, designed with great attention to the strength and structural safety, experimental and cutting-edge structures, also from a pedagogical and educational point of view, and the fulcrum around which the towns destroyed by the earthquake were reborn.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.